Friday, July 22, 2011

Classic Baked Cheese cake - 经典芝士蛋糕








Time really flies. I still remember I baked a Durian Mousse Cake for my husband's birthday last year. it is like yesterday . Today is his birthday again.

As I had mentioned earlier in my post that I do not want to make complicated cake, so today I baked this simple and yet yummy cheesecake for him.

Recipe: adapted from Delicious CAKES by Amy Heng

Ingredients:

Base:
120 g plain flour
60 g self-raising flour
55 g soft brown sugar
1/2 tsp lemon rind
80 g butter (diced)
1 whole egg

Filling A:
~~2 tbsp lemon juice (mixed with 300 ml UHT whipping cream, stand for 10 minutes to become sour cream)
~~600 g cream cheese (at room temperature)
~~100 g butter ( softened),
~~1/2 tsp vanilla essence
~~70 g caster sugar
~~2 tsp lemon rind
~~30 g cornflour,
~~2 whole eggs + 2 egg yolks (2 egg whites, 4 egg yolks)

Filling B:
~~60 g caster sugar
~~2 egg whites

Utensil needed: 9" loose-base cake tin

Method:

~~1) Base: Preheat oven at 180 degree C. Lightly brush a 9" loose-base cake tin with corn oil. Place all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add in butter and beat at low speed until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add in egg and beat until mixture binds. Press mixture into tin and prick holes with a fork.. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

~~2) Filling A:
Reduce oven temperature to 150 degree C. Place cheese, butter, vanilla and sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat until creamy. Add in rind, cornflour and eggs and beat until just combined. Add in sour cream. Leave aside.

~~3) Filling B:
In another mixing bowl whisk filling B at high speed until stiff (70%).

~~4) Fold no. (2) and (3) together lightly with a hand whisk. Pour into prepared base of no. (1).

~~5) Place tin in steam bath and bake for 2 hours. Take out from oven and immediately run a sharp knife along sides of cake. Let cake cool at room temperature before placing in the fridge. Brush some glazing on cake if desire.

NOTE: From for my baking experience, I do not practise method (5). I like to wait for the cheesecake to cool down, then I put in the fridge for few hours or longer. With this method, the cake stays nicely in shape, will not damage the shape of the cake once I remove it from the mould.

4 comments: