Water dough ingredients:(outer dough)
300 g plain flour
150 g cold water (4 oz)
75 g shortening (Crisco)
35 g fine sugar
Oil dough ingredients:(inner dough)
150 g plain flour
110 g shortening (Crisco)
150 g minced pork
150 g small prawns (shelled and removed veins)
110 g Chinese BBQ meat (char shao) - diced
3 dried mushrooms (soaked till soft, drained and diced)
20 g ham diced
1 big onion -diced
3 tablespoons green pea
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
2 teaspoons light soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon oyster sauce
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon sesame oil
3 teaspoon fine sugar
1 tablespoon char shao sauce (optional - if you make your own char shao)
2 tablespoon corn flour
To make filling:
1. Saute diced onion with 1 tablespoon of oil in a hot wok until fragrant, dish up. Mix all the filling ingredients together. Chill in the fridge for an hour or two before use.
To make pastry:
1) Outer pastry: mix all the ingredient, knead to form a smooth dough. Leave aside for 10 minutes.
2) Inner dough: Mix all ingredients to form a dough.
3) Divide outer dough and inner dough into 30 equal portions respectively.
4) Use outer pastry to wrap inner pastry. Make sure the seams and corners are sealed by outer pastry.
5) The roll pastry into long flat oblong strips and in turn roll up. Roll into long flat oblong strips again and roll up.
6) Repeat the rest of the pastry.
7) Finally, roll-out the rolled-up dough into a thin, round sheet, wrap with filling, form into "shao-bao" shape.
Repeat the rest.
8) Line baking tray with greased proof paper, place shao bao onto the tray, brush each surface with beaten egg yolk and sprinkle a little sesame seeds on top.
9) Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degree C for 15- 20 minutes.