Recipe: Adapted from Carol's "The Second Book of Baking for Beginners"
How to make custard:
A) 200 c.c fresh milk
20g fine sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
B) 1 whole egg, lightly beaten
20 g sugar
C) 50 c.c fresh milk
10 g corn flour
15 g plain flour
D) 10 g unsalted butter
1) Bring A to a boil on low heat.
2) Combine ingredients B and C and mix well.
3) Gradually pour (1) into (2), stir and mix well. Strained.
4) Cook (3) on medium low heat, keep stirring till the mixture is thickened and smooth.
5) Cover with clingwrap, leave to cool for later use.
How to make the dough:
270 g high protein four
30 g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
50 g egg (without shell)
30 g fine sugar
150 c.c milk
1/8 teaspoon salt
30 g unsalted butter (cut into small cubes)
some custard filling
1) Beat ingredients except butter till a dough is formed. Add in butter and continue to beat till an elastic and smooth dough is formed. Cover with a damp cloth or cling wrap. Leave to proof for 60 minutes till double in size.
2) Punch out air and scale the dough into 8 equal portions, about 65 gram each. Roll to round balls, cover and rest for 15 minutes.
3) Use a rolling pin to flatten the ball into a 12cm-wide disc, place appropriate amount of custard filling in the middle, seal and wrap. Seam face downwards, arrange on the lightly greased baking tray.
4) Leave to a final proof for 50 - 60 minutes till double in size.
5) Brush with egg wash and pipe custard filling on the surface.
6) Bake in the preheated oven at 170 degree C for 18 - 20 minutes.