Recipe: Adapted from 美味糕点新主张
Chiffon Cake: (makes 12 cakes)
60 g corn oil
80 g fresh milk
20 g unsweetened cocoa powder
Hong Kong flour or Top flour
80 g egg yolks (about 5 eggs)
160 g egg whites
90 g fine sugar
45 g egg yolks
60 g fine sugar
Hong Kong flour/ top flour
210 g fresh milk
½ tsp vanilla essence
100 g fresh cream
80 g bitter sweet chocolate
5 g butter
Method for chiffon cake:
1) Place corn oil and fresh milk into a metal mixing bowl, warm over low heat. When mixture is slightly boiling, remove from heat, add in cocoa powder, stir well, then add in egg yolk , stir well and mix well.
2) Fold in sifted flour and mix until becomes cocoa batter.
3) In a clean, grease-proof bowl, beat egg whites for a few seconds until frothy, add 1/3 of sugar, then beat hard until soft peaks form when the whisk is raised. Beat in the remaining sugar a tablespoon at a time a nd beat just until stiff not dry, shiny peaks form.
4) Take 1/3 egg whites mixture add into cocoa mixture. With a spatula, gently fold the egg whites in few additions, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl, until just blended.
5) Fill up mixture into paper cups till 3/4 full.
6) Bake in preheated oven at 180 degree C for 10 minutes, reduce the temperature to 150 degree C , continue to bake for 15 minutes.
Method for chocolate custard:
1) In a mixing bowl, use egg whisk to beat eggs and sugar.
2) Add in sifted flour, mix well.
3) Add in milk a little in few times, mix well.
4) Add in vanilla essence, boil over low heat, stir occasionally to avoid burnt at the bottom.
5) Cook until the mixtures becomes thick and bubbling, remove from heat.
6) Add in butter, stir well and blend well.
7) Let (6) sit on ice, stir until cold and smooth.
8) Double boil chocolate and fresh cream until smooth. Leave to cool.
9) Add in (7) and mix well. Transfer to a piping bag (with nozzle), insert the nozzle into the cake and gently squeeze the custard till ooze . Sprinkle icing sugar on top and serve.
The cakes shrink is normal.