Sunday, March 13, 2011

Creative Strawberry Swiss Roll



Last week I chanced upon one of the blogger's recipe. It was a very very beautiful strawberry swiss roll. The recipe was very easy to follow. I tried and succeeded.

My verdict:
~~1) Texture very soft, light and moist. After the next day remains the same.
~~2) Thumbs up by my "makan kaki".
~~3) Very attractive and creative. Even children were intrigued by it.

The recipe makes 2 swiss rolls as I do not have the right size swiss roll tray, I made one 31 cm x 26 cm swiss roll and one 14 cm heart-shaped cake for my daughter.
Thanks 小本 , for sharing this beautiful recipe.

Click here for Chinese recipe http://www.wretch.cc/blog/bear1210/16700656 give it a try.


Recipe:

Ingredients:

Sponge cake:

A) 6 egg yolks
20 g fine caster sugar

B) 60 g fresh milk
45 g corn oil

C) 100 g plain flour
15 g corn flour

D) 5 egg whites
70 g fine caster sugar

Strawberry ingredient:
e) 20 g egg white
10 g fine caster sugar

f) edible food red coloring
g) green tea powder, cocoa powder

Filling for the cake: whip 250 g fresh cream with 25 g sugar. Some fresh strawberries cut into 4 halves or into 2 halves.

Method: (chiffon cake method)
~~1) Place ingredients A into a mixing bowl, mix well. Add ingredients B and stir and mix until smooth.

~~2) Add sifted flours (ingredient C) into egg yolk mixture until well blend.

***making strawberry:
** line greased proof paper/Glad Bake onto a swiss roll tray.

**Take 30 g (about 2 tbsp) from the above premix mixture, add in red colouring .

** Beat ingredient e) until stiff but not dry. Mix together with the red mixture. Put them in a piping bag.

** Pipe out a few triangle shapes on the pre-prepared swiss roll tray. Bake in preheated oven for 1 1/2 minutes at top temp 190 deg. C and bottom temp. 180 deg C. Remove from oven immediately when is done.

Come back to the sponge cake:
1) Beat 5 1/2 egg whites ((about 210 g, the 1/2 egg white is from (e) until peak form but not dry.
2) Mix in the balance egg yolk mixture until mixture is well combined.

3) Pour into the swiss roll tray, use a spatula to level evenly. Bake for 12 - 13 minutes at 190 degree C.

4) When cool, spread fresh cream and place strawberries, roll up and put in the fridge for about 20 -30 minutes.

5) 2 different small bowl fill with little of cooked cold water. One mix with green tea powder, the other mix with cocoa powder.

6) Take out swiss roll, use a very fine brush to draw sepals/leaves in green, and cocoa mixture for tiny dots on the strawberries.

HAPPY BAKING ~~~

18 comments:

  1. A very creative with this beautiful swiss roll. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Veronica

    thank you for sharing this gorgeous recipe! I tried it last nit and it was a success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Rosy, thank you for dropping by and glad that u succeeded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Veron, just like to check which brand of fresh cream did you use and also what oven are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Luxy, I like to use Red Man Brand "Whip Topping" It is very ideal for cakes and pastries. My oven is Tecnogas Model Siere 7200 which is a very old model. But now my oven is down. I am still looking for a brand new model of Tecnogas built-in oven. It always give me satisfaction and even colour on the top of the cakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Veron, I used bulla cream and the texture was too thick! Im looking for another oven too. thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  6. Hi, I'm really interested by this recipe and would like to try it, but I'm a little bit confused. You said this recipe makes two swiss rolls. Does that mean we need to half all the ingredients on here if we just need to make one? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Wave Iruka, thank you for dropping by my blog. It depends on the size of your swiss rolls baking tray. The original recipe was based on 2 small swiss rolls. I was using a 21cm x 36 cm baking tray which was bigger than hers, i only could make one and used the balance batter for a separate heart shape cake. Alternatively, the balance batter could be used for sponge cupcake or Hokkaido cupcake.

    Do you have a email address so that I can send you another recipe which is based on a 25 cm x 25 cm baking tray if you are interested.

    Wish you a Happy New Year 2013 ahead.








    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for replying! I recently got a swiss roll baking sheet for Christmas, which measures 27x37cm, which I was thinking of using. I like your idea of making cupcakes with the remaining batter; I think I'll do that!

      I was just wondering, could I use vegetable oil to substitute corn oil?
      Happy New Year to you too, and many thanks.

      Delete
    3. Wave Iruka, Yes you can use veg oil or sun flower seeds oil.

      A very Happy New Year to you.

      Delete
  8. Hi Veronica, thank you for sharing this lovely recipe!! I would like to seek for your opinion that i couldnt find any corn flour in my place. Can i using corn starch or corn meal instead?
    Happy new year to you and hope to hear from you soon, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sheryl, thank you for dropping by my blog.In UK we call corn flour where as in U.S we call cornstarch ,they are the same thing. Hope to hear from you soon. Happy baking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so impressed by your swiss roll! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Veronica,
    Your swiss roll look very pretty. I have tried this before but failed as the cake cracked when I rolled up. I would like to know in your recipe above for beating (D), you mentioned the other 1/2 egg white is from (e). Does that mean after using 20g for (e), you use the rest of the white for (D)? Do you mind sending me the recipe for a 25cmx25cm pan? My email: ovensmitten@gmail.com. Thank you.

    Yin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 茵茵, Thank you for your compliment. Your cake cracked when you rolled up, the reason could be the cake was over baked. Yes,I used the rest of the white for (D). The recipe for 25cm x 25cm, you can get it here. http://neyeeloh.blogspot.sg/search/label/Swiss%20Roll

      Please let me know if you have any question. Hope to hear from you soon.

      Delete
  12. I was about to comment how pretty this strawberry swiss roll of yours looks when I started looking at your other beautiful swiss rolls too!! Wow you are good!!

    ReplyDelete