I have always had this homemade chicken rice up my sleeves. Whenever I make this dish, my family would always gobble it up, finishing the last grain of rice and the last strand of meat. However, I have never chronicled this recipe for the record and have always put it off for another day. Today, finally, I am determined to write it all down to the last detail. This is in part due to me thinking back a few weeks ago during Chinese New Year. I made this dish for my mother-in-law and the rest of the extended family and everyone sang its praises. I have now a record for my children to refer to, to continue this legacy and have more people enjoy this fabulous dish!
Ingredients for steamed chicken:
1 kampong chicken about 1.5kg
2 thin slices ginger/spring onion
1 tsp salt
2 pandan leaves
1)Wash and clean the chicken, keep 2 to 3 pieces of chicken fat for cooking the chicken rice. Rub all over the body of the chicken with salt . Place gingers or spring onions inside the body. Throw pandan leaves into the steamer. When the water is boiling , steam chicken (onto a plate) over high heat for 15 - 20 minutes. Turn off fire and leave the lid closed to stand for 15- 20 minutes. Transfer chicken onto a big plate and let it cool before cutting.
3) Pour the chicken stock into a pot for making soup to your preference or you can use it for cooking chicken rice.
Ingredients for chicken rice: (serves 4-5 persons)
3 cups of rice
2-3 pieces of chicken fat
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 to 1 tbsp cooking oil ( depends on how much chicken fat you use)
1/2 cube of chicken cube (Knorr)
1,5 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1 light soya sauce
1/2 tsp sesame oil
3 cups water or more, adjust to your liking
2 pips garlic
10 g ginger
4 pandan leaves
1) Wash and drain the rice.
2) Chop garlics, onions and ginger till very fine.
3) Heat up a dry wok, place chicken fat into wok, stir fry until the fat has melted, add in cooking oil, saute the chopped ingredients until fragrant. Add in rice to stir-fry for a while, then add in the remaining ingredients except water and stir fry for 1 minute or until fragrant.
4) Transfer (3) into an electrical rice cooker, add pandan leaves and enough water to cook.
5) While waiting for the rice to cook. Now you can cut the chicken into pieces, and arrange on a serving plate. Garnish with spring onions and coriander leaves.