Saturday, February 28, 2015

BBQ Pork (Bak gua) Butter Cake - 肉干牛油蛋糕


Hi! dear friends and bloggers. I wish everyone of you a very happy and prosperous  Chinese Lunar New Year .
This  would be my first and last post of the month (only one post for this month/February 2015).


I still had some BBQ pork (bakgua or rou gan) left on the shelf and it will be the perfect home for various microorganisms if i left it in room temperature for too long. Moreover, my fridge is already at full capacity so I have to find a way to get rid of it.  Subsequently, I decided to bake a cake with it.  The origin recipe is from Kevin Chai.

Verdicts for the cake:  The texture of the cake is soft and moist. It is full of the fragrance of butter. The butter taste overpowers the bakgua, hardly have the bakgua taste. If you want a stronger taste of bakgua, may have to replace butter with corn oil, olive oil or sun flower seed oil.  Let me try out my next attempt and I will let you know the outcome. Hmmm, I may not do it again because I hardly eat bakgua. lol.

Recipe:

Ingredients:
300 g butter
200 g fine sugar
4 whole eggs 
250 g plain flour
20 g milk powder
5 g baking powder
100 ml milk
100 g BBQ pork, blended

Method:
1)  Preheat oven at 160 deg C. Grease and line an 8" x 8" square baking pan.
2)  Beat butter and sugar till creamy and light.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3)  Sift flour, baking powder and milk powder together.  Fold in flour and milk aleternately in 3 batches.  Fold in BBQ pork, mix well.
4)  Pour the batter into  the prepared pan. Bake for 50 - 60 minutes or until cooked.
5)  Remove from oven, leave it cool on the rack. Cut into pieces, serve.



2 comments:

  1. woo...so special? I'll like to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Veronica! This is quite unique. Hmmm...bak kwa inside butter cake, Very interesting! Sadly, nobody gave me any bak kwa LOL!

    ReplyDelete