This layer cake is simply delicious, if served with one cup of coffee is really heavenly. If you like cheese, you should give it a try.
Recipe: (source from HOME DINING magazine)
12 egg yolks
8 egg whites
280g caster sugar
1 tbsp ovalette (cake stabilizer)
150 g grated cheddar cheese
4 tbsp condensed milk
200 g top flour
500 g butter
100 g chopped almond
20 g ice cubes
1) Beat butter, condensed milk and 75 g cheese at high speed for about 5 minutes, till mixture turns white. (mixture 1)
2) Mix flour, sugar, ovalette, eggs and ice cubes in a mixing bowl. Beat at high speed until fluffy. (mixture 2)
3) Add mixture 1 to 2, mix well.
4) Prepared a 8" x11" x3" rectangular baking tin, grease with butter and line with grease proof paper.
5) Scoop 4 tbsp of mixture ( I find the layer is too thin, will suggest to scoop 6-8 tbsp) into the tin to form a layer. Bake first layer in the oven at 180 degree C ( under "bake"). Then turn oven to "grill" to bake the remaining layers. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and almonds on alternate layers. When it comes to final layer, turn oven to "bake" and bake for 15-20 minutes.
. Beat ice cubes with ingredients to form smooth mixture.
. The author suggests to get 250g of Golden Churn Salted Butter mixed with 250g of Mountain Cream Salted Butter to get better texture of cheese lapis (layer).