On most occasions I would prepare my dinner with 2 main dishes (meat and seafood), 1 green vegetable and a soup. Sometimes it gets quite boring and monotonous to eat the same routine menu for dinner everyday. So, today I decided to prepare Chinese sandwich bun (扣肉包) and braised meat to go along with it. There is no rice , the staple is the bun。
I gathered all the ingredients as the recipe book had instructed. After a few hours preparing the dish, dinner was ready and served on the table. I was quite disappointed that my family did not like the braised meat. I know it is very subjective to everyone, a person's meat is another person's poison. Anyway, I will say the braised meat is above average to my taste bud. However everyone liked the sandwich buns.
Ingredients for the bun:
1 tsp. instant yeast
120 ml water
230g pau flour/Hong kong flour
20g wheat starch
35g icing sugar
1/2 tsp. white vinegar
1/2 tsp. double-action baking powder
Ingredients for filling:
(B) : 8 slices belly pork (3" length,2" width, 1/2" thickness)
(C) : 1 tbsp chopped shallots, 1 tsp chopped garlic
(D) : For garnishing: 180g pickled mustard (shredded, soaked, drained), coriander leaves, spring onions, and coarsely grounded peanut.
(E) : (mixed together)
60g dark soy sauce,
1/2 star anise
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp five-spice powder, 1/2 tsp MSG
1 tbsp cooking wine
(F) : 1/4 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tsp sugar
Some cooking oil
8 paper cups ( flattened)/greased paper
1) For filling: Heat wok with one tablespoon of oil, saute ingredient (C), add in ingredient (B) and (E) stir fry for few minutes. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes, stir occasionally. Dish up and set aside.
2) Heat wok with 1 tbsp oil, saute pickled mustard with seasoning (F), set aside.
3) For Bun: Mix ingredients A), knead the mixture until becomes a smooth and soft dough. Cover with a damp cloth, proof for 30 minutes.
4) Divide dough into 8 equal portions. Roll into balls. Using a rolling pin to flatten into a oval shape of 3" x 6". Brush little oil on top, fold into half and place on flattened paper cups/greased paper. Cover and proof for 30 minutes.
5) Bring water to a rapid boil, place into a steamer, steam over high heat for 5 minutes or till cooked .
Recipe source from "包Paos" by Y3k"