Thursday, May 26, 2011

Golden Pillow 金枕头




Do not get confused. My recipe today is not about MediaCorp’s drama series that cast Zoe Tay, Fann Wong, and Hong Kong actor 万梓良. It is just an ordinary bread that wows you with the aroma and colour of the chicken curry wrapped inside.

In Singapore there is one very popular shop 933 Golden Pillow, which I used to frequent many years ago. I stopped ordering from them after I learnt how to make this bread from my friend.

Today I made this for my family’s dinner. They enjoyed, especially my youngest son who said he likes the bread more than the chicken curry.

Recipe:

Curry Ingredients: (you may use your own favourite curry recipe)
~500 g chicken meat – cut into big bite size (boneless)
~200 g potatoes –peeled and cut into big bite size, deep fried until golden brown.
~125 g coconut milk (from ½ packet)
~50 g Almond powder
~2 tablespoon meat curry powder
~ 100 ml cooking oil

Ingredients need to be blended:
~50 g shallots
~1 inch fresh turmeric
~1 inch lengkuas
~10 g dried chillies (soak in warm water and drain)
~1 inch ginger
~1 stalk lemon grass (serai)

Method:

~1) Marinate chicken with curry powder for 1 hour.
~2) Heat up oil and stir fry the blended ingredients until fragrant. Add chicken and continue to stir fry for 10 minutes.
~3) Add potatoes and the remaining ingredient except coconut milk, stir fry for few minutes.
~4) Cover with lid, simmer at low flame. stir occasionally. If the curry is too thick, may add in little more water.
~5) When potatoes and chicken are cooked, add coconut milk and cook for few minutes, add salt to taste.

BREAD INGREDIENTS:

~400 g bread flour
~150 ml water
~10 g instant dry yeast
~1 whole egg
~60 g soft butter (at room temperature)
~50 g Castor sugar
~1 teaspoon salt
~ 1 piece of aluminium foil and 1 piece of parchment paper

Method:

~1) Place all the ingredients except butter in a mixing bowl, use Kenwood hook at slow speed to form a dough, add butter to beat until forms a smooth and elastic dough. Cover dough with cling-wrap, leave to rest for 30 minutes or until the dough doubles in size.
~2) Pace dough on flat surface and use fist to press/ punch out air from dough. Roll into balls and rest for 10 – 15 minutes.
~3) Use roller pin to roll into rectangle shape, just big enough to wrap the curry chicken which is placed in aluminium foil. Cover with cling-wrap and rest for 30 minutes.
~4) Preheat oven to 200 degree C.
~5) Spray water on the surface of the dough and put in oven. Bake for 25 minutes.
~6) Remove from oven, brush with melted butter.

ENJOY!

Pour curry chicken onto aluminium paper.
Wrap up
Roll the dough into rectangle shape.
Open end face to face upwards.

Rest for 30 minutes.
Spray water and put in the oven and bake.
When bread is done, brush with melted butter.

Baking tips:

It is not wise to apply egg wash on the bread, because it easily gets burnt on the top. From this experience, i would advise you to spray water. When the bread is done , remove from the oven, brush with melted butter.

12 comments:

  1. Oh My....I like this and wanted to make this for so long. You make it looks so simple, thanks for sharing, I'll try this out soon...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the method is easy and fast to prepare. Of course it is delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your Blog very much, but I don't like the Chinese part, because they are simple Chinese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to eat curry with bread, but hv never thought of making the golden pillow... thks for sharing ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, twiggy, do you mean that you can't read simplified Chinese? If that so, I will try my best to type in traditional Chinese in my future post. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh I love the Golden Pillow but I never knew it was so easy to make it! Just wanted to ask - should the curry be completely cooked before placing into the bun or should I half-cook it and allow it to be completely cooked while baking?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!Janine, the curry should be completely cooked before placing into the bun. Thanks for reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!neyeeloh, give it a try. I am sure you will like the golden pillow. You can make into 2 buns if you think it is too big.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love your blog !This days i will definitely try your pumpkin buns stuffed with finetti and jam and I've also planed to try this recipe and the tuna croquettes, you 've got really interesting recipes and I'm looking forward to try most of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum yum yum yum yum. Thank you for sharing. I am going to try but make individual serves do each person has a lovely parcel each. Cheers 😁

    ReplyDelete