Adapted from 美味糕点新主张 by 薛妃娟
You need 2 nos 17cm chiffon cake tin.
(I baked in a 24cm chiffon cake tin)
80g fresh milk
40g corn oil
2 tsp rum
100g low protein flour (I used Top flour)
100g egg yolk
30g black sesame powder
15g roasted black sesame seeds
240g egg white
120g castor sugar
~ a) sieve low protein flour.
~ b) mix fresh milk, corn oil and rum in a same container.
~ c) Put the roasted black sesame seeds into a plastic bag, and crush it with a wooden rolling pin .
Method: (preheat oven to 170 - 180 degree C)
1) Whisk egg yolk, add in b) and mix well.
2) Pour sifted flour into mixture (1) mix well, and add in black sesame seeds and black sesame powder, mix till well blended.
3) In a clean, grease-free bowl, beat egg whites for a few seconds until frothy, add 1/3 of sugar, then beat hard until soft peaks form when the the whisk is raised. Beat the remaining sugar a tablespoon at a time and beat just until stiff not dry, shiny peaks from.
4) Take 1/3 meringue (method 3) and mix into black sesame batter.
5) Pour method (4) into egg white mixture, use a spatula or large whisk, gently fold in the mixture, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl, until just well blended.
6) Pour into the chiffon cake tin and bake for 30- 35 minutes or until an inserted skewer emerges clean. Remove from the oven and immediately turn upside down, and leave to cool completely. Cut around the cake with a thin-bladed knife to release.