Always like to follow 孟老师’s recipe because her recipes always guarantee a satisfactory product, and tasty to such extent that justifies repeating the recipe.
I am happy with my finished product. The bread tastes good and fragrant even when eat it without spreading any jam or butter on it.
A) sponge and dough method (中种发酵法):
160g bread flour
1/2 teaspoon of instant dry yeast
1 egg yolk (18-20g)
80g water (room temperature)
B) Main Dough （主面团):
40g bread flour
20g Castor sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
10g milk powder
10g cheese powder (I used coconut powder as I do not have cheese powder)
20g water ( room temperature)
C): 10g unsalted butter
50g chopped dried cranberry ( original recipe calls for raisins)
D): Cheese topping:
75g cream cheese
20g sugar powder
20g egg yolk
10g low protein flour
E): 50g almond flakes
1) Combine A) ingredients and knead to form a dough. Cover with a piece of damp cloth and rest for 90 minutes.(you need not form a smooth and elastic dough).
2) Combine method 1) dough with B) ingredients. Beat at low speed, then use medium speed to beat the dough becomes smooth.
3) Add in butter continue to beat at low speed till the dough becomes smooth and elastic (stretchable), add in chopped cranberry, mix well (at low speed).
4) Place the dough into a container and cover with a piece of damp cloth or Cling Wrap for second proofing for 60 minutes.
5) How to make Cheese topping:
Combine softened cream cheese (at room temperature) with sugar powder, whisk till sugar dissolves. Add in egg yolk, mix well and lastly add in flour mix till well combined. Take out the dough and roll into a ball, cover with cling wrap and rest for 15 minutes.
6)Roll dough into a 20 x 20 cm square. Roll it up like how you would make a swiss roll and place into a greased baking pan or a non stick baking pan (21.7 cm x 9.3 cm x 7.7 cm). Cover and rest (final proofing) it for 60 minutes.
7) Spread the top of the well-fermented dough with cheese and then sprinkle almond flakes. Bake in a preheated oven (190 degree C) for 30 minutes. Remove bread from the baking pan immediately and leave to cool on the rack.