Sunday, December 18, 2011

My mistake at Panettone that turned out nice

If  I ask you what is this,  your answer could be that it is a either a sponge cake or a chiffon cake. But both are incorrect.



And what is this? A mushroom? No. it is a panettone. The recipe asked for 6" round tin. However I used a 7" but it looks like it still requires a bigger one.


This is my panettone which was tore into halves. hahaha...

There was nothing wrong when I made my started dough (Ingredients A) until i came to mix my ingredients B. The recipe calls for 3 grade A eggs. Once I added eggs in my mixture , I knew straightaway there was something wrong. The dough was very wet and sticky , so I added more flour into the mixture for easy handling and kneaded until a pliable dough was formed. As I had no confidence whether the bread would be a successful one, I did not add in mixed fruits as I do not want to waste anymore ingredients. At this stage I had forgotten to add in  yeast, and by the time I  realized, it was already too late. The amazing thing is after 3 proving stages, the dough still rose up very well. I  baked  it at 180 degree C for 40 minutes.

The finished product was surprising.  It grew so big and tall.  What a relieve that it is edible and yet the texture is very fluffy and soft like cake.

Here, it is the recipe, I would appreciate if anyone can comment and tell me if 3 eggs as advised by the recipe is a mistake.

Recipe: (adapted from Yum Yum No.75)
Ingredients A:
150g plain flour
5g instant dry yeast
1/2 grade A egg
80g milk


Ingredients B:
350g plain flour
5 g instant dry yeast
7g salt
200g caster sugar
3 grade A eggs
80g milk

Method:
1) Combine ingredients A and mix well.  Place into mixing bowl and cover with a piece of wet towel.  Leave to prove  for 1 hour.

2)  Add in ingredients B and mix well.  Add butter and beat into a smooth and elastic dough.  Lastly mix in mixed fruits.

3)  Leave dough to prove for 1 hour.  Round out the dough and rest for 5 minutes.

4)  Flatten and round up the dough.  Place into a 6" round baking tin.  Cover with a piece of wet towel and leave to rove for 40-50 minutes or until it doubles in bulk.

5)  Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degree C for 35-40 minutes or until cooked.  Remove and leave to cool on the rack. Cut into pieces and serve.

Note: Soak mixed dried mixed fruits in hot water for 10 minutes and drain.  Soak them in a little extra   brandy overnight and proceed with the recipe next day.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Veronica, for a moment I thought it's sponge cake, so beautifully baked. But anyway your panettone looks extremely good, so tall and fluffy.
    Loves the mushroom look, so cute.

    I'd not try baking pannettone so can't tell you if the 3 eggs is a mistake. But so far yum yum cook book most of the recipes are quite accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amelia, thanks for your compliments. My best wishes for X'mas and Happy New Year to u and ur loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Veronica.
    I've just had a nightmare trying to make a panettone. I got to kneading the dough and it didn't feel right - really light. I consulted my recipe again and realised I had forgotten to add the eggs - and my recipe calls for 2 eggs and 5 yolks! I have just added them into my half kneaded dough and continued to knead - no idea what will happen! It's reassuring to know that there are other people out there who are having problems too!!! As my husband just said - the devil is in the detail!

    Happy Christmas x

    ReplyDelete