Sunday, May 4, 2014

Braised Winter Melon with Dried Scallop


I have forgotten to soak the dried scallops earlier and was also in the hurry so did not cook them well... else, you would see them in tiny shreds.


Most of the time I use winter melon to make soup or dessert.  This time I gave it a change. I had a bowl of chicken stock which I collected from my steamed chicken last week. Thinking of how to use it before I go for my long holiday this Friday.

I have seen this recipe before, but I have never tried cooking it... Decided to give it a try today since I have all the ingredients ready.

I liked the final dish because the taste consists of a heavy chicken stock yet with a light hint of winter melon. As it is boiled, this is a really healthy dish and will suit all ages.

Recipe:

Ingredients: 
- 1 big rim of winter melon
- Some dried scallop  (soaked in water, drained)
- Chicken stock (one bowl)
- Salt to taste
- Dash of pepper
- 1 tablespoon of goji berry also known as wolf berry, washed and drained
- Some corn flour for thickening the sauce

Method:
1) Wash winter melon, discard seeds, with skin on, cut into pieces as the picture shown below. Do not slice through completely.
2) In a pot, cook winter melon, chicken stock and dried scallop together (cover lid) over low heat for 10- 15 minutes until melon is soft.
3) Dish up winter melon on a serving plate.
4) Add salt to the sauce to taste. Add corn starch water to thicken. Then throw in wolfberries. Pour the sauce over the winter melon. Serve.


Oops...forget to cook the dried scallop together.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Veronica! Interesting dish that makes winter melon the star of the show. It must be very tasty especially with the scallops!

    ReplyDelete