For my cake above, I only used cocoa and vanilla flavour. 1/3 batter +25 g cocoa powder, 2/3 batter add in vanilla essence)
I personally classify this as the best butter cake! The texture of the cake is soft, moist, buttery and fragrant. I have even passed this recipe to my friends in Hong Kong, China, Malaysia and Indonesia - they all love it very much.
This recipe originated from a Recipe Book that I have gotten from more than 20 years ago. It was an exchange using 3 SCS butter or ButterCup wrappers! In total, I had collected 3 different Recipe Books.
Some of the recipes from the books are good, as well.
250 g BUTTERCUP
250 g self raising flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
250 g fine caster sugar
Pinch of salt
6 eggs (use 4 egg whites)
1/4 cup Evaporated milk + 1/4 cup water to make 1/2 cup
25 g cocoa powder 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Few drops red colouring
1/2 teaspoon lemon essence
1. Cream Buttercup and sugar till creamy and fluffy.
2. Sieve flour and baking powder .
3. Add egg one at the time to the creamed BUTTER mixture. Fold in flour and milk alternately and mix mixture till blended.
4. Divide mixture into 3 unequal portion.
5. Add cocoa and vanilla to the smallest portion (4 tablespoons butter)
6. Add red colouring to 14 tablespoons of cake mixture. Add the rest of the mixture with orange essence.
7. Grease a 9" round or 8" square cake tin with BUTTERCUP. Sprinkle with flour. Fill tin with a tablespoon of different mixtures so that the cake when baked will have a marbled effect.
8. Heat oven 375°F or 190°C. Bake in a preheated oven for 40-45 minutes. Lower the oven temperature slightly after 30 minutes of first baking.
9. Cool cake in tin and invert it on wire rack. Cool and serve it with tea or coffee.