I would like to share with you this simple and tasty Chinese steamed cake. I made it today. The Chinese steamed cake turned out to be springy and fragrant. Give it a try if you are a fan of baitanggao (白糖糕）。
1 teaspoon instant dried yeast
2 tablespoon warm coconut milk (below 38 deg C)
Method: Mix well and rest for 20 minutes.
B) Main batter:
i) 280 g rice flour
300 ml water
ii) 140 g sugar
200 ml water
100 ml coconut milk
1) In a big bowl, mix well ingredients i) till smooth.
2) Boil ingredients ii) till the sugar dissolves and the syrup just comes up to a boil.
3) Pour the hot syrup into rice flour mixture. Whisking constantly, and let the batter cool to room temperature.
4) Add yeast stater into cool cooked batter. Cover and leave for 2 hours at room temperature.
5) Grease a 20 cm round cake pan and place it in the steamer to preheat for 5 minutes. Then uncover, pour the batter into the hot pan, cover the steamer tightly and steam for 25 - 30 minutes until risen and springy -firm.