Thursday, April 29, 2010

purple sweet potato chiffon cake



The other day I visited kokken69's blog , a photo of murasaki imo chiffon cake had caught my eyes. The purple bits of the cake are so beautiful and pleasant . And I also wondered how the cake tasted like with sweet potato in it. So I decided to bake one for myself. After baking, I did not wait for the cake to cool down completely. as a result I spoiled the appearance of the cake slightly when I removed from the mould. Ha..haha..luckily the cake was still in one piece. Yum..yum.

The cake was soft and moist and does not stick to the sides of your mouth like other dry cakes. I recommend the cake to go along with a nice hot cup of coffee/tea. the cake has a firmer texture compared to the plain chiffon cake probably due to the presence of the sweet potato. Some say it has the taste of sweet potato but others do not think so. it is quite a different kind of chiffon which is worth trying.

For those who like a stronger taste, u may use fresh milk/coconut milk instead of plain water. I have changed the recipe slightly here and there. Please visit kokken69.blogspot.com for her recipe.


Recipe

A)
- 220 g egg white (about 6 large eggs)
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar


B)
- egg yolk 80 g (about 5 large eggs)
- water 100 g
- corn oil 80 g
- lemon juice 15 ml/cc
- sweet potato 100 g (steamed and mashed)
- plain flour 100 g
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- caster sugar 20 g
- sweet potato 140 g ( cut into cubes and steam)

Method:

1. whisk egg yolk with mashed potato. Add in water,sugar and lemon juice. Then add in oil. Whisk well to emulsify the oil.

2. Fold in sifted flour and baking powder, until flour is well incorporated into the egg yolk mixture.

3. In a separate bowl, whisk egg white till stiff but not dry. Fold into the yolk mixture carefully, then add in the potato cubes using a spatula.

4. Pour batter into a 23 cm/9" chiffon cake tin.

5. Bake the cake at 165 C for 45 minutes or until cooked.

6. Remove cake from oven and invert the pan to cool.

3 comments:

  1. hi Veronica!
    I am thinking to try this recipe using yellow potato that I have in stock. May I know, can I replace the 100g of plain flour with 100g of self raising flour and omit the baking powder? The weight of the potato, is it before steam or after? Besides, I wonder, to ease my work can I just mashed all the potato total 240g and add into the 1st step?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hui Hoon, Yes you can omit the baking powder and replace with self- raising flour. And you can use all the mashed potato into the 1st step.

    i tried it yesterday and the end product was more compact but the texture of the cake was still soft and moist. this second product , i felt , was softer than the one in my post.

    The weight of the potato is before steaming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can see that the pieces of sweet potatoes stick to the cake without causing any hollow shrinkage of space or lubang.

    by the way, i haven't try to bake any chiffon with any fruit or potatoes puree or chunk, bcause i always failed to bake a perfect chiffon without deflated the egg white meringue.
    aiya, so much trouble with the mixing skill....

    ReplyDelete