Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Healthy Pandan Chiffon cake






Few days ago, my friends and I went on the cruise for a one day tour. We were talking about chiffon cake. One of my Indonesian friends told me that she makes pandan chiffon cake without adding baking powder, cream of tartar, and coconut milk. She just adds ENO fruit salt. I know of some Huat Kueh recipes which uses ENO fruit salt. This was my first time that i come across using ENO in chiffon cake. (Am I a mountain tortoise?) I just wanted so much to make one for myself, so without any hesitation I ' demanded ' for the recipe and she kindly obliged. Thank you, Juliana.

And she told me that this recipe belonged to her Indonesian friend who owns a bakery shop and this is one of the popular cakes.

As you can see from the above photographs, the green colour is natural that comes from the pandan leaves extract.
Verdict: Texture of the cake is very soft, light and moist, and is not very sweet. Although it is not as fragrant as coconut pandan chiffon cake (because no coconut milk in this recipe), but the taste will not disappoint you because the pandan aroma is still very fragrant. For the health-conscious, this recipe would suit you better. In a bid to improve the recipe, in my next attempt, i will experiment to reduce the amount of oil used. However, on the whole, this cake is still worth the while. It is a healthier choice yet not compromising the taste and texture of the cake.

Ingredients:

A :
-6 large egg yolk
-150g top flour
-75g sugar
-150ml pandan extract juice (using 10-15 leaves to blend with water)
-100g cooking oil
-1 satchet plain ENO fruit salt (4.3g)

B:
-6 egg white
-75g sugar

Method:
1) preheat oven to 170º C.
2) Whisk egg yolks and sugar till dissolves. Then add in pandan extract juice, salad oil to combine well.
3) Pour sifted flour into mixture (2) blend well. Lastly add in ENO stir well untill the mixture is incoporated.
4) In a clean, grease-free bowl, beat egg whites for a few seconds until frothy, add 1/3 of sugar, then beat hard until soft peaks form when the whisk is raised. Beat in the remaining sugar a tablespoon at a time and beat just until stiff not dry, shiny peaks form.
5) With a spatula or large whisk, gently fold the egg whites into the batter in a few additions, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl, until just blended. Pour into an ungreased 23 cm chiffon cake tin and bake for 50 -60 minutes or until an inserted skewer emerges clean. Remove from the oven and immediately turn upside down, and leave to cool completely. Cut around the cake with a thin-bladed knife to release.


ENJOY!

6 comments:

  1. hi hi , i'm looking for a recipie that "fit" in a 23cm chiffon pan and your looks so good and flat on top . i wanted to bake for my mun birthday .
    Do your chiffon drop out from the pan when it cool dowm? i turn it up side dowm once out from the oven .my always drop off from the pan when i use the 23cm pan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ewe, I am so sorry to give you a very late reply.
    Please make sure your chiffon cake tin is clean, dry and no grease. Remove the cake tin from the oven and invert the cake tin immediately. It could be that your cake is under baked. Let me know the outcome I will help you if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi! I am looking for a 23cm tube pan and came across your recipe. I wonder, if I omit the Eno, will the outcome still be good?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hui Hoon,yes, you can omit the Eno. If your egg whites are beating to the right consistency and is baking at the correct temperature, the cake will turn up good and tall.

    From my baking experience and some of the recipe books, You may add 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar or 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to the egg white mixture.

    Kindly let me know the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Veronica!
    This afternoon I bake this pandan chiffon cake without Eno salt. The cake rose beautifully in the oven, with a nice crack. However, after cooling, the crack area collapse or shrink. Other part was still ok. The texture and the taste is still good, fully and soft. Any idea why?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hui Hoon, please visit this link, it may answer your ques[ton.

    http://kitchentigress.blogspot.com/2012/05/pandan-chiffon-cake-step-by-step-v...

    ReplyDelete