Last night, our WEC interest group held a gathering at the Community Club. We had stocking flower making and cake baking sessions. I volunteered to demonstrate cake baking . I decided to come out with 3 recipes, 1) Steam Lemon Cake 2) Banana cake and 3) Chocolate Walnut Muffin because there are good tasting, easy to pick up for beginners and do not need much ingredients.
The response was quite good, a total of 17 participants attended the events, aged from 6 to 50 years old and above. It was just like a big family gathering. After everyone put in their own efforts, we were all smiles as we ate the cakes and admired the self-made flowers.
Here, I would like to share the Steam Lemon Cake recipe with you. Basically it is just the ordinary steam cake. All the author did was simply add in lemon juice - the citrus acid removes the eggs odour, and turns the cake into a refreshing delicious dessert. I thank her for her innovative and creative idea.
Recipe (adapted from孟老师的100道small cakes)
1 teaspoon lemon zest
3 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoon corn oil/sunflower seed oil
250 g eggs (without shell)
180 g fine sugar
190 g plain flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1) Grease and line with cake paper on a 20 cm square baking tin.
2) Mix lemon zest, lemon juice and oil together.
3) Beat eggs with sugar from slow speed to high speed, colour will change from dark to light.
4) Beat at high speed until the mixture turns into milky white, foamy and thick. Turn to slow speed to beat for 1 minute.
5) Add in sifted flour, baking powder, blend well. And lastly add in the remaining ingredients.
6) Mix the mixture until incorporated.
7) Pour the batter into the mould and leave it to rest for 10 minutes at room temperature. (The product texture will be finer).
8) Steam for 20 - 30 minutes over high heat.
Note: you may use orange instead of lemon to try another tinge of citric taste.