Thursday, September 20, 2012

Fried Prawns and Petai with instant Sambal Paste 香-炒叁巴臭豆虾



















During my trip to Cameron Highlands, I bought one bunch of petai from the road side stall. They were very cheap! It cost me only RM10.00. I managed to get 300g of  beans after opening up the pods.  That is enough for me too cook 3 times. They are worth buying.

I am supposed to make my sambal chilli paste today but I am just too lazy to do it. So the lazy me,  got a small bottle of instant one from the market.  To my pleasant surprise,  the ABC brand Sambal Chilli paste is not bad at all!

Recipe:

Ingredients:
300g shelled medium prawns (deveined)
1 big onion, sliced
100g petai
2 lime leaves, shredded
1 tablespoon of tamerind juice (optional)
1 red chilli
2 to 3 tablespoons of ABC brand sambal chilli paste

Method:
1) Heat up wok with 2 tablespoon of oil, fry big onion till fragrant, add sambal paste and stir fry for 5 minutes.
2)  Pour in prawns and lime leaves and fry till cooked. Add in tamerind water, fry for few seconds. Dish up on a serving plate.
3)  Serve with plain rice. Enjoy.


Petai:
Parkia speciosa (bitter beantwisted cluster bean, or stink bean) is a plant of the genus Parkia in the family Fabaceae. It bears long, flat edible beans with bright green seeds the size and shape of plump almonds which have a rather peculiar smell, characterised by some as being similar to natural gas.

For more information click here.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Veronica, your fried prawn with sambal look so delicious. Wah, I can have extra rice no problem. LOL
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Veronica, this is my favourite dish! Your dish looks so delicious with its beautiful colour. I can only enjoy this dish when I go back to Malaysia as I can't find fresh petai in Melbourne. I've seen frozen petai sold in the Asian grocery but I haven't tried before.

    ReplyDelete