This cake looks ordinary and does not need decoration at all. The sponge cake is soft and light. The yogurt cheese cream is not sweet and it has a slight hint of sourness from the yogurt, it is really perfect to eat along with a cup of hot coffee.
Sponge Cake: ( 10" round Springform baking pan)
A) 4 egg yolks
100g optima flour (Optima Ready Mix)
90g Hong Kong flour
75 ml olive oil
1/4 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
B) 4 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Method: (chiffon cake method)
1) Preheat oven to 175° C.
3) Beat ingredients B until peak form.
4) Add mixture 2 into 3, mix well. Pour batter into the greased baking pan, bake for 35 - 40 minutes.
5) When the cake is cool, slice the cake horizontally into 2 equal layers.
For Yogurt cheese cream filling, you need:
~1 can peach of pineapple - drained
~ 6 pieces gelatine leaf
~ 50ml milk
~ 200 ml whipped cream
~ 60g sugar
~ 25g water
~ 2 egg yolks (beaten)
~ 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
~180g cream cheese
~ 200g plain yogurt
1) Dissolve sugar in heated water (double boiling method) till sugar dissolves, add in beaten egg yolks.
2) Beat cheese, yogurt and lemon juice till smooth.
3) Melt gelatine in milk over a pot of simmering water (double boil method).
4) Combine mixture 1,2 and 3 together, mix well.
5) Fold in whipped cream into mixture 4.
6) Place one piece of cake back into the Springform baking pan (or a cake base with cake ring), spread cream cheese filling over the cake evenly, arrange peaches on top, then place another layer of cake on top. Leave it to set in the fridge for more than one hour.