I have totally forgotten that I still have half a bottle of the citron tea which was kept in the fridge, until yesterday when I cleaned the inside of my fridge. As I have always wanted to try 赤堀博美's recipe, this was a good opportunity to use up some of the citron tea. Other than changing the Orange Marmalade to Citron Tea in the recipe, I did not make other changes.
The cake turned out better than what I had expected. It brought out the light flavour of the citron, the texture was light and as soft as cotton. It tasted even better if taken together with a little bit of Citron jam . For chiffon cake lovers , I am very sure you will like this cake.
Recipe: adapted from Q超润戚風
~80 g egg yolks ( about 4 yolks)
~30 g sugar
~30 g sugar
~100 c.c salad oil
~100 c.c water/juice
~160 g plain flour (I used superfine flour) > sieve twice
~1/4 teaspoon salt
~130 g citron tea paste
~2 tablespoon Cointreau (optional) I don't have so I used plain water )
~ 7 egg whites (120 g)
~ 40 g caster sugar
1) Place egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl ,use hand beater to stir until sugar dissolves and egg yolks turn into pale colour.
2) Add in salad oil, stir well, then water, Cointreau,water/juice, and citron tea, whisk well to emulsify the oil.
3）Pour flour into Step (2) and mix well incorporated.
4) In another clean bowl, beat ingredients B until stiff but not hard.
5) Pour 1/2 portion of egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture stir well, and pour the remaining 1/2 egg white mixture into step 5 until well combined.
6) pour batter into a 20 cm chifffon cake mould.
7) Bake in preheated oven at 170 °C for 50 -60 minutes.
8) Remove cake from oven , invert the pan immediately. Demould the cake when it is completely cool.