Kimmy's EZ Char Siew Buns surprised me because I have never come across this type of bun before. Today I picked up all the ingredients and gave it a go.
The buns turned out soft and moist. However, I thought it could have been better if the serving of char siew is more generous, will try to improve on that during my next attempt.
Recipe – Adapted from Kimmy’s EZ Char Siew Buns
Ingredients: (makes 12 buns)
- 350 gm bread flour (I used 300gm bread flour + 50gm wholemeal flour)
- 50 gm sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 tsp instant yeast
- 210-220 ml ice cold water
- 30 gm butter
- 100 gm char siew - chopped
- 1 stalk spring onions - washed and chopped
- In a mixing bowl, mix and knead all the ingredients except butter, char siew and spring onions into a soft dough.
- Add in the butter and knead until the dough is smooth, soft and pliable.
- Add in char siew and spring onions and mix well.
- Shape into a dough and cover to rest for 1 hour.
- Divide dough into 2 equal parts. Round up and divide each portion into 6 equal portions.
- Round up the dough into ball, lightly spray the top with water, then coat with sesame seeds. Place onto prepared baking tray.
- Rest for 50 minutes or until double in size.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200 degrees C for 12-15 minutes or until cooked.
- Remove and cool on wire rack.