Sunday, October 24, 2010

Kuih Bahulu ( l )





My friend has just come back from Korea and asked me to make kuih bahulu with walnuts and sesame seeds. She ate this in Korean which tasted very good.

Traditionally, kuih bahulu are baked in a heavy cast iron mould and the heat comes from the charcoal. Since I don't have any of the above, I baked them in the oven and I used aluminium muffin cups instead. The result was not very good. I had trouble removing the kuih from the moulds. They stuck on the mould. So my small cakes did not have the crust by the side and at the base. I believe I had not greased enough oil on the muffin cups.

As I did not have walnuts, I replaced them with pumpkin seeds. On the whole, the kuihs tasted average. However, I will make this kuih to serve my visitors because it is simple to prepare and you can make many servings with little ingredients. It is healthier to eat this than butter cake. The kuihs go well with hot black coffee and hot tea. Invite a few friends to sit down and chit chat over an afternoon break.


Recipe:

Ingredients:
3 eggs
130 g fine sugar
110 g plain flour
1 tablespoon rice flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
roasted walnuts (chopped) OR roasted pumpkin seeds
sesame seeds

Methods:
1) Stir fry plain flour under low heat until dry and light. ( Or sun the flour for a day) . Dish out and leave cool.

2) Sift flour with baking powder and rice flour together 3 times.

3) Beat (whisk) eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Gently and slowly add in sifted flours, walnuts , mix well.
4) Preheat moulds and grease with melted butter/corn oil. Spoon in batter and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Bake in preheated oven at 180 degree C for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

5) When cool, remove kuih (small cakes) from moulds and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment