Sunday, June 10, 2012
Creative colourful Kuih Dumplings
Do you like these colourful kuih dumplings? They are actually Nonya Kuih Koci. I merely transformed them by wrapping with bamboo leaves instead of banana leaves. I used red bean paste for the filling. You can use your own favourite filling.
Ingredients: (makes 9)
(A)15 pcs bamboo leaves (or more) , soak with boiling water for 2-3 hours wash and wipe
~~ 9 hemp strings x 35 cm length each
25g rice flour
25g corn oil
(C) 150g glutinous rice flour
(D) 90g coconut milk
~~1/8 tsp salt
(E) 200g red bean paste , divide into 9 equal portions, roll into round
~~ green coloring (green tea powder); blue pea colouring and pink (strawberry emulco)
(F) 50g corn oil
1) Put ingredients (B) into a pot, cook over low heat, keep stirring till it forms a dough.
2) Combine glutinous rice flour with ingredients (D), mix well. Add in (1) and knead till the dough is smooth . Scale them into 9 equal portions (add in colouring).
3) Roll one portion of dough mixture to a round ball, flatten, wrap in filling and seal up opening properly.
4) Lightly oil your palms (ingredient F) and roll (3) into balls. Fold 1 piece of bamboo leaf into a cone, place the greased ball inside. Wrap and tighten with string. Repeat the same to the rest.
5) Steam over high heat for 15 minutes.