This is my 2nd post of this dish. Not only did I make slight changes to the ingredients, I also now have more experience at preparing this dish - and yes, this time, the meat turns out to be a better shot than my previous attempt.
1kg pork belly with skin
1pkt sweet preserved mustard (227 g =8 0z )
6 cloves garlic (lightly flatten)
1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
800 - 1000 ml water
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp sugar
1 pc star anise (optional)
1 tbsp "Shaosing" wine (Chinese cooking wine)
1) Soak the sweet preserved mustard in water for 20 minutes. Squeeze out water, cut into fine pieces. Leave aside.
2) Cook the pork belly into boiling water for 20 minutes about 70-80% cooked. Remove from hot water, pat dry, prick hole over the skin only with a fork.
3) Rub dark soy sauce over the skin for 20 minutes. Pat dry with kitchen towel or kitchen tissue paper.
4) Deep fry in hot oil, skin facing downwards until golden brown, dish out and soak into tap water (room temperature) for 20-30 minutes. Cut the pork belly into your desired thickness. Leave aside.
5) Heat up a wok (no oil). stir-fry the sweet preserved mustard until fragrant, push the mustard to the side of the wok. Pour in 2 tbsp of oil and when the oil is hot, saute garlic till fragrant and stir-fry the preserved mustard for 5 minutes, add in seasoning and water, simmer for 30 minutes.
|I used this brand. It gives better flavour and taste.|