This is my second attempt within a few days as I am keen to make some improvements to my previous attempt. This time round, I added a layer of frosting which turned out to complement the fresh blueberries really well. The frosting was made using cream cheese and blueberry yogurt. The sponge cake was spongy as sponge cakes should be and being mild in taste, it allows the fragrance of the frosting and the blueberries to take the lead in taking over your senses.
Recipe: adapted from 美味糕点新主张
For the sponge cake:
35 g fresh milk
45 g unsalted butter
90 g egg yolk
20 g fine sugar
120 g egg white
60 g fine sugar
90 g low protein flour
1 ) Put fresh milk and unsalted butter in a container. Use double boil method to melt the butter. Leave for later use.
2) In another mixing bowl put sugar and egg yolk together over hot water, using a hand electric mixer to beat till colour turns pale and thick.
3) In another mixing bowl beat egg white with sugar in 3 batches till stiff and peak form.
4) Mix method (2) into method (3) mix well.
5) Add in shifted flour into method (4) in 3 batches till well incorporated.
6) Take a small portion of method (5) add to method (1).
7) Then pour everything back to method (5) mix well.
8) Pour or spoon batter into paper cups till 3/4 full. Bake in preheated oven at 170 deg C for 20 minutes.
For the Cream cheese frosting:
80 g cream cheese ( at room temperature)
100 g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
30 g icing sugar
45 g plain yogurt (I used blueberry yogurt)
1) Beat soften cream cheese, icing sugar and unsalted till smooth and fluffy. Then gradually add in yogurt and mix well. Transfer to a pipping bag and pipe on the cupcakes.