Sunday, December 25, 2011

Dhall Cakes


I made some square and triangular shaped dhall cakes.
This Indian snack reminds me of my Secondary school days. I learnt of this little savoury snack when I was in Secondary 2. I still can remember my Home Science teacher’s name. She is Miss Sinamah (at that time she was still single), we girls gave her a nickname that translates directly to mean “死老妈“in Chinese, or “dead old mother” in English. I knew we were very bad to label her with that nickname. Miss Sinamah was also our P.E teacher. She was fit  and  loud, and liked to command us to run around the badminton court for a few rounds before we start playing netball. The reason we gave her the name is because she liked to scold us and would nag, nag and nag….for small matters! Oh yes, she has a gold tooth too. Hahaha… A few years after we graduated, I gathered the news that she got married and lived in Kuala Lumpur. I wonder if I would still recognize her if I chanced upon her. Sigh….... those were the days. I missed the laughters of my classmates and the memories from schooling days.

This dhall cake is so easy to prepare and nice to eat. Like a typical Indian snack, a dhall cake is saturated with fragrant ingredients including curry leaves, onion and chilli. Dhall is a healthy alternative as it is protein-rich and can replace meat or fish in one’s diet. Give it a try.

Recipes:

Ingredients:
8 tablespoons broken black peas
1 Bombay onions
2-3 spring curry leaves
2-4 green chillies
salt, oil for deep-fat frying

Method:
1) Wash and soak the peas for 4 hours
2) Grind or pound the peas to a paste.
3) Wash and dice the onion, chillies and curry leaves.
4) Mix all the ingredients together with enough salt to taste.
5) Shape dhall cakes into neat, even rounds and fry slowly in deep-fat till brown and well cooked.
6) Drain well and serve with green chillies.

No comments:

Post a Comment