Ingredients for the red heart:
100g butter (room temperature)
100g castor sugar
120g self-raising flour
30ml of milk
1/2 tsp strawberry emulco
few drops of edible food red colouring
250g butter ( room temperature)
250g castor sugar
300g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1) Preheat oven to 180 degree C.
2) Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
3) Beating in eggs one at a time. Ensure each egg is well-incorporated before adding the next one.
4) Fold in half the sifted flour, add milk and strawberry emulco and then fold in the
remaining flour without over-mixing or beating the mixture. Add colouring and mix well.
5) Pour the batter into a lightly greased 8"x8" or 9"x9" baking tray. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
6) Allow to cool completely. Once the sheet cake is cool, invert the pan onto a cutting board. Use a smaller heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out 24 cake hearts that are small enough to fit into an average-sized cupcake pan. Leave aside for later use.
7) Cream the cake ingredients with the same method as the heart cake.
8) Spoon 2 heaping tablespoon batter (from 7) into paper-lined cupcake tins, so that they are about 1/2 full. Put one heart into each tin and press it point down into the batter. Cover with another tablespoon of batter and bake for 15- 20 minutes and until cooked. Allow the cupcakes to cool before frosting.
Leave aside for later use. At this time prepare the cake batter.
Spoon 2 tbsp.of batter, and put a heart in the center.
Spoon 1 tbsp. of batter to cover the heart.
Make sure to press the heart point down properly into the batter otherwise they will turn up like mine a small hill.
Tricky tip how to get the right cross-session of the heart when you cut to get the full heart effect.
a) Use a marker or a pen to mark your muffin cup paper liner (external) with a visible straight line directly opposite to each other.
b) Place the heart such that it is aligned with the 2 markings. This is so that when you cut the cupcakes into half, the cross-section of heart will show up nicely.