Thursday, March 24, 2011

Spicy, Sweet and Sour Trotter

In my family of five, only my daughter and my youngest son do not eat trotter and fatty meat. So whenever I cook trotter I have to (actually is a must) buy lean meat or the muscle to add into the dish.

As the name of the dish suggests, the trotters are a mixture of sweet, sour and spicy flavours that make it a very appetizing dish that goes well with plain rice. Make sure you cook extra rice for the day. The sourness and spiciness are just right but I find it a bit too sweet for my taste buds. This dish is something different from what I used to cook my pork trotter with dark soy sauce and sweet dark vinegar (猪脚醋)。It is very delicious and unique - I recommend u to give it a try if you like strong tastes.

Recipe:

Ingredients:
~~ 1 pig trotter (cut onto pieces)
~~ 100 g ginger (sliced)
~~ 10 pcs chilli padi
~~ 6 big red chillies
~~ 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
~~ 50 ml Chines rice vinegar (I put 100 ml)
~~ 1 litre water

Seasoning:
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon dark soy sauce (I put 1 tbsp)
4 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon chicken stock granule

Method:
~~1) Wash and drain pig trotter.

~~2) Heat up enough oil in the hot work, saute chopped garlic and ginger until fragrant. Add in trotter, stir- fry briskly until the meat changes the colour.

~~3) Add in water, rice vinegar and seasoning, bring to a boil. Put in chilli padi and big red chillies, cover and simmer at low heat for 35-40 minutes until trotters are tender and the gravy has been absorbed by the meat. Dish and serve hot.

Recipe reference: Hawker Secret Recipes (part 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment