This is my 2nd attempt of making pumpkin bread. I adapted this recipe from "The Second Book of Baking for Beginners" by Carol. I converted from toast to make into small buns. They are soft even after I keep them to the nex tday, they still taste good.
Maybe you like to see my older post, please click here. If you ask me which recipe is better, I will say both are good. Carol's dough is slightly sticky when handling because of honey (I think so). Any way do not worry too much, it is not a big problem.
Recipe: (Straight method)
150g pumpkin (steamed and mashed, weighed and get 150g only)
280g bread flour
1/2 teaspoon instant dried yeast
1 egg (about 50g)
1/8 teaspoon salt
30g unsalted butter ( cut into cubes)
30 ml milk
some melon seeds.
1) Combine all the ingredients except butter into a mixing bowl. Beat until a rough dough is formed. Add in butter and continue to beat until a smooth and elastic dough is formed.
2) Cover with a piece of damp cloth, leave to proof for 50-60 minutes. To test whether it is well fermented, poke a hole with your finger in the centre, the hole should not bounce back.
3) Punch out gas with your fist. Divide dough into 10 equal portions s\and roll into round balls. Cover and rest for 10-15 minutes.
4) Flatten dough and wrap in filling (to your liking - 30g each) and leave to proof for 45 minutes.
5) Brush with egg wash, and decorate with melon seeds. Bake in preheated oven at 180 C for 12- 15 minutes.
Note: Always remember to add liquid (water /milk) gradually during the process of beating (kneading), let the flour absorb the water slowly.